Sunday, March 10, 2013

Assignment 8

I am impressed by the way my peers formatted their essays, with most of them having striking similarities in their essays. It is interesting to note what we have been learning in class actually come to light in my peers' writing. This of course, I think is a huge improvement since the beginning of the semester.

To give an example, in reading one essay, I thought the writer approached the analysis of the essay with an open mind, a clear flow of controlling purpose running through the essay. One of my peers thought that considering the feeling of the audience should be of importance in writing. This is something I had not considered and it is obviously a learning experience. 

Additionally, I think the inclusion of quotes in the essays is important as it emphasizes context of the writer, as well as indicating the proper understanding of the material. The use of direct quotes also breaks the monotony and provides a different and inviting flavor to the audience.

The difference between my peers’ essays and mine is the fact that I didn’t know of taxidermy before and the claim I made of taxidermy being an underworld trade. Although I made the claim, I seem to enjoy wildlife and on several occasions  visited museums and zoos. I had no idea how animals are brought to life. Susan Orleans’s essay has educated me on taxidermy and what taxidermists do to advocate for animals especially the ones in the verge of extinction.

I have learned from my peers' essays and will use their way of writing in my future essays by being open-minded and having a good flow of my essays. I need to quote more to emphasize the writer’s ideas and support my argument with the writer's own words.

No comments:

Post a Comment