Thursday, January 31, 2013

Assignment 3 - David

 David Sedaris wrote this article while he was at the airport. He was stranded due to delayed flight.
His rhetorical audience are the passengers who use air travel. He was trying to paint a picture of how things turned out as a result of the delay. People seemed to be agitated and as a result, engaged themselves in weird conversations.

I have in many occasions experienced delays in my flights and have witnessed firsthand  how people get angry and impatient during such situations. Sedaris reported verbatim on the conversations that went on at the airport as people waited. The conversations were not nice but rather crowded by the use of vulgar language.

The use of cursing language is seen in most of the conversations.For example,"Think you can out-hate me, asshole? I was fucking hating people before you were born!" (Sedaris 277). Although  I enjoy the scholarly writings of Sedaris, he seem to have certain beliefs and thoughts about other people. I am tempted to think of him differently because his demeanor and the stereotypical mention of Stevie Wonder's blindness. I don't think it was right for him to make fun of anybody although he thinks it's funny to make fun of others.

To a great degree, Sedaris has portrayed himself as an effective writer showcasing his passion for critical writing seem to flow through his thoughts as he shares his stories in his article "Standing By" in a stylistic manner. Sedaris enjoys writing and what other way could one make good use of time than in writing what he does best and alleviate the boredom that could have befallen him had he not used his time wisely! 

Sedaris,David."Standing By."First Year Composition Reader.Boston:Pearson, 2011.275-277.Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment