Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Assignment 6

Susan Orlean's article gave me an idea of what taxidermy really is. I had no clue until when I read the whole article about taxidermy  and what taxidermists do.Her grammar and description of the happenings at the championship make her stand out as a writer. She brings out her observations in a very candid way that can appeal and resonate well with her targeted audience.

Although the taxidermy championship was in Springfield Illinois, she wrote the article for the New Yorker to convey to the readers about the business which according to her research is a multimillion business.For her to have taken initiative to participate in the taxidermy competition and report about it is commendable job that is worth noting.

I was wondering how many animals would have been there if all the slaughtered animals' were skinned properly and used for taxidermy purposes. It would have been scary to see how many animals have been killed! It would be an amazing site to behold. One of the quotes that I found interesting is when she was interviewing one of the competitors who said" I love deer," one of the champions in the whitetail division said to me. "They are my babies."

Her writing reminded me of some places that I have seen dried animals; it was at the Cabela's outdoor store. I would think the article was intended for those people like hunting or people like animals or like to make art through sculptures of animals.

No comments:

Post a Comment